What are the symptoms of caffeine addiction?

Hi. I am a 26 year old woman and often get headaches if I don't have my morning coffee. Could I be addicted to the stuff?
Caffeine addiction, or caffeine dependence is one of the most common substance addiction problems in the world. Luckily caffeine, consumed in moderation, has only minor significance to future health and thus moderate caffeine consumption is not viewed as that much of a problem. However, higher caffeine consumption such as several cups of coffee in the morning, or coffee multiple times per day can result in high blood pressure, and trouble sleeping. Caffeine addiction occurs when people crave caffeine and have a psychological desire for it. Caffeine dependence is when you consume caffeine to avoid or treat a withdrawal side effect. In your case, you are experiencing the most common type of caffeine withdrawal symptom, headaches. These headaches can be severe and only seem to go away after you have had the first cup of coffee. These withdrawal symptoms will get better if you are able to cut down you coffee consumption to 1-2 cups per day. If you want the headaches to go away permanently and not be dependent on caffeine, you will have to quit coffee completely. I suggest that you bring this issue up at your next visit with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to help you devise a plan to get off caffeine completely, or control the symptoms. Good luck.

• Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021