ZocdocAnswersHow can I get over my caffeine addiction?

Question

How can I get over my caffeine addiction?

I have tried so manyt imes to stop drinking but can't. I am 38 now and I need my coffee every day. Is there anything I can do to stop?

Answer

First, I applaud your attempts to get off caffeine. Drinking too much of it can result in high blood pressure increasing your chances of heart disease over the long term. Caffeine addiction can be tough to get over. This is because caffeine gives us a great feeling of stimulation in the morning, and not drinking it often results in feeling tired, run down and a headache. Like most addictions, the symptoms of withdrawal will subside after some time of not drinking it. The tough part is to get through that first week of withdrawal symptoms. One method you can try is reduce the amount of coffee you drink every day so that the withdrawal symptoms don't hit you as hard. For example, if you drink 3 cups of coffee every morning, try just drinking 2 cups for a week, then 1 cup for a week, then stop. Using this method, you better your chances of being able to quit. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can help you come up with a personalized strategy to try and get off of caffeine. I think after carrying out a strategy of weaning yourself off of it, you will be successful. Good luck.