Is calorie counting useful for losing weight?

I'm a 26 year old and I want to lose weight. I'm watching what I eat and trying to keep my portions small. Will calorie counting help?
Calorie counting can be an important part of any diet which is geared at losing weight. This is because calories consumed is the most critical part of the weight loss equation. No matter what type of diet you choose, the only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn. By keeping track of those calories and eating smaller portions, you will be able to keep your calorie consumption below your calorie usage more accurately than if you were not keeping track. Plus calorie counting will help you understand the amount of extra calorie burning will need to be done to counter a high calorie meal. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can come up with a dietary plan together which can help you lose weight in the healthiest way possible with your own personal medical history in mind. I would also suggest that you place reasonable goals for weight loss in 2 to 3 month increments with planned visits with your doctor during those times to make sure that your dieting is going well. This way if your diet begins to give you problems, or stops working, a new strategy can be drawn up for your continued success at losing weight. Good luck.