Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What are the symptoms of candidosis?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of candidosis?


I've had an itchy crotch for the past few days. Could this be a yeast infection? I'm 22.


Candida infections are more commonly referred to as yeast infections and occur in warm, moist areas of the skin. This fungi is part of the normal flora that lives on all of our bodies and usually does not cause any problems, however given the correct conditions the fungi can grow more rapidly and cause what we typically think of as infections. Infections are more common in the very young, women, obese, the elderly and those with decreased or altered immune systems. People with diabetes, taking steroids or other immunosuppressants, or with HIV/AIDS are at increased risk for infection. The most common candida infections are vaginal yeast infections though infections can occur on the skin, in the GI tract, or in the blood. Luckily yeast infections are are fairly simple to diagnose and treat. The most common symptoms of vaginal yeast infections are some redness, itching, irritation, and occasionally a discharge. Candida infections in other areas have similar symptoms. Keeping the affected areas clean and dry as much as possible while help limit its spread and prevent future episodes. Vaginal and skin infections can all be treated topically, though with slightly different medications. Occasionally vaginal yeast infections can be treated with a single dose of oral fluconazole. Another significant possibility is that your symptoms represent infection with a different type of fungus. The formal medical term for the condition is tinea cruris and it is caused by a fungal infection of the skin. It is caused by fungi termed dermatophytes, which is a generic name for a group of contagious fungi that can spread from person to person or through contaminated objects. The most common symptoms are a rash and itching. Frequently the areas of skin folds can have the worst itching with a red, moist rash. Depending on how long you’ve had the condition the rash can change in appearance. So though, I’m not entirely clear from your question which type of infection you have, the treatment is usually very simple. Your primary care physician can best evaluate your symptoms and help find solutions that will work for you. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.