What causes autism in children?

My child has autism. What caused this? We took every safety measure while I was pregnant.
I am sorry that your child has developed autism. Unfortunately, there are very few measures that anyone can take to reduce the likelihood that their child will be effected by autism, and there is nothing that can be done to guarantee that it won't happen. This is because autism is thought to be caused by genetics more than any other factor. This does not mean that there is one gene that causes autism, or that your child inherited the syndrome from you or your partner. This means that some combination of genes are present in your child which increased the chances that he or she would develop autism. This probably nothing to do with anything you did during your pregnancy or in early childhood development. In future pregnancies, remember to avoid alcohol, and report any infection to your OBGYN right away. Perhaps in the future, we will have better methods of preventing this disease. I suggest that you establish a relationship with a child psychiatrist to help you deal with your child's issues throughout his or her early childhood. Having a specialist involved in your child's care will be critical for both you and your child as time goes on. I wish you the best of luck.

Other Psychiatrists