Can medication help someone with chronic depression?

I'm a 26 year old male with chronic depression. Should I take med?. I don't want to be totally num to the world, you know?
Chronic depression is a very common problem in patients of all ages. Effective treatment is possible, and usually consists of a combination of therapy, medication, a strong social support network, and a positive relationship with your health care providers. A number of medications have been developed over the last decade that have been shown in randomized clinical trials to have a benefit in patients diagnosed with depression. Medications used for treatment of depression are from different classes with varying mechanisms of action, and include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), serotonin / norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), tricyclic antidepressants, and others. While these medications may be helpful in the long-term, it is important to know that it may take several months to see an effect if they are prescribed. If you believe that you are suffering from symptoms of depression, then you should certainly see your doctors">primary care physician and/or a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist. Talking with your doctors about your problems can begin the process of devising an effective treatment plan to help get your depressive symptoms under control.

Other Psychiatrists