What causes chronic pelvic pain?

I'm 28 and have pain in my pelvis. Is this gas? I will get it checked out. What symptoms should I look for?
There are many potential causes of pain in the low abdomen and pelvis. Therefore, it is essential that you have this checked out by your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor in order to narrow down the list of potential causes. One common cause of pelvic pain are sexually transmitted infections, such as Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. These can also cause urinary symptoms and vaginal discharge. If the infections get into the uterus or ovaries, they can cause an condition called pelvic inflammatory disease. Another common cause is endometriosis, which is a condition in which uterine tissue gets into the abdominal cavity and multiplies. The pain tends to cycle up and down along with the periods. Fibroids, which are benign muscle tumors that grown inside the uterus, can also cause pain, usually also with heavy or irregular periods. Finally, multiple gastrointestinal conditions may cause pain which is interpreted as pelvic pain. These can include irritable bowel syndrome, intestinal infections, gas, and constipation. A good start will be your primary doctor, who will perform a thorough physical examination and then, based on this, will be able to make recommendations about what might be going on and what further workup or treatment you might need.

Nearby OB-GYNs