Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do if I am deemed clinically obese?"


I'm fat but I don't think I'm obese. I might be. I'm a 41 year old male. What should I do if my doctor says I need to lose weight?


If you and your doctor believe that you are overweight, then you should work together to come up with an effective strategy for meeting your goals. This should involve an increase in the amount of exercise you perform on a daily basis and an improvement in your diet. As far as exercise, it is often helpful to seek out the help of a personal trainer at your local gym if you have not worked out in a while.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Endocrinologists near you

This can serve to instill good practice and safe techniques of exercise from the start, so that you don't injure yourself and suffer a setback in your attempts to lose weight. As far as diet, your primary care physician can refer you to a nutritionist, who can help you determine how many calories you should aim to take in every day. Furthermore, the nutritionist can help ensure that your diet is well-rounded and healthy, reducing your intake of salt and fat and providing extra benefits of cardiovascular health. It will be important to continue your relationship with your primary care physician, as he/she can be an extra source of support and reinforcement in helping you meet your weight loss goals.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.