Carbon monoxide poisoning can be very dangerous and even deadly. This is why most houses today are equipped with both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. These detectors are very important to have in the house because carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that cannot be detected otherwise. Moreover, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very subtle and may not be noticed until it is too late. The most common symptom that occurs is headache
, which can be written off as a normal occurrence. At higher doses of carbon monoxide, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting
can also occur. Finally, if someone is exposed to carbon monoxide while sleeping, then the person may just die in their sleep. Because they are so subtle, symptoms of CO poisoning can not be used as a method of detection. This is why carbon monoxide detectors are so important to have in every house.
I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician
. The two of you can discuss home safety and how to best prevent a disaster such as carbon monoxide poisoning. If there are any concerns about your furnace, you can have a technician come out to inspect it function and make sure it is not emitting any CO.