Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors
"What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?"
I am 26. What symptoms of CO poisoning should I look out for? Not as easy to spot as fire.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be very dangerous and even deadly. This is why most houses today are equipped with both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. These detectors are very important to have in the house because carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that cannot be detected otherwise. Moreover, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very subtle and may not be noticed until it is too late. The most common symptom that occurs is headache, which can be written off as a normal occurrence. At higher doses of carbon monoxide, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting can also occur. Finally, if someone is exposed to carbon monoxide while sleeping, then the person may just die in their sleep. Because they are so subtle, symptoms of CO poisoning can not be used as a method of detection. This is why carbon monoxide detectors are so important to have in every house. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss home safety and how to best prevent a disaster such as carbon monoxide poisoning. If there are any concerns about your furnace, you can have a technician come out to inspect it function and make sure it is not emitting any CO.
Need more info?See a primary care-doctor today
Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.