ZocdocAnswersCan smoking cause colon cancer?

Question

Can smoking cause colon cancer?

I know smoking can have many negative side effects. Is cancer one of them? I'm 33 and would rather quit smoking than get cancer.

Answer

It is well established with the medical community that smoking is associated with many different forms of cancer. The cancer that is most closely associated with smoking is lung cancer. The vast majority of cases of lung cancer can be attributed to either smoking or some other toxic inhalation exposure. Smoking is also associated with many other cancers. Probably the most common cancer (besides lung cancer) that is associated with smoking is colon cancer. Colon cancer can also be attributed to eating a diet high in red meat. Another cancer associated with smoking is esophageal cancer. The list of associated cancers is long. In addition, there are other diseases such as emphysema which can result in trouble breathing frequent hospitalization, and the need to be on oxygen long term. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can begin discussing methods of quitting your smoking habit. There are medications available that can really increase your chances of success. The newest medication called Chantix reduces cravings for cigarettes and reduces the rewarding feeling felt when you smoke. Nicotine patches can also be helpful. At your age quitting is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health. Good luck.