ZocdocAnswersAre there any long term effects associated with the date rape drug?

Question

Are there any long term effects associated with the date rape drug?

I am 29 and I think someone slipped me the date rape drug when I was younger. Are there any long term effects?

Answer

The "date rape drug" may refer to a variety of drugs, but it most commonly refers to Flunitrazepam (also known as Rohypnol), popularly referred to as "roofies." Rohypnol is a drug in the class of medicines known as benzodiazepines, which are sedative medications often used in the treatment of insomnia or anxiety disorders. In high doses, Flunitrazepam produces what is known as "anterograde amnesia" or an inability to form new memories, as well as profound sedation often resulting in a loss of consciousness. The immediate effects of flunitrazepam can include dangerous respiratory depression (loss of the impulse to breath) when combined with other drugs such as alcohol. However it does not typically have lasting side effects or result in brain damage. That said, Rohypnol, while one of the very common drugs used as a "date rape drug" is only one of many different drugs used for that purpose. While these drugs are often detectable in the hours to days after administration, it is not likely to be possible to determine which drug you were administered years ago. If you have specific concerns about your memory, cognitive ability, or ability to move, you should seek an in-person consultation with your primary care doctor. And certainly, if you ever suspect in the future that you have been unwillingly given a "date rape drug," seek the help of a doctor right away. It may be possible to determine exactly what drug has been administered and, in the right setting, this may help bring the individuals responsible to justice.