ZocdocAnswersWhy did I miscarry a dead fetus?

Question

Why did I miscarry a dead fetus?

I'm 27 and had my first miscarriage. Why did this happen? Why do miscarriages happen?

Answer

As you know, having a miscarriage can be a very difficult event to deal with emotionally. They are unfortunately very common with estimates ranging between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 pregnancies ending in miscarriage. Unfortunately the vast majority of time, the cause of a miscarriage is often unknown. While there is no way for myself, or any other health care professional to tell you why you had this happen to you, I can go through some of the reasons that women have these from time to time. Studies on miscarriages (also called spontaneous abortions) have shown that fetuses that are aborted spontaneously by the body often have genetic abnormalities that would have been detrimental to their health. Basically this is nature's way of preventing fetuses with severe defects from making it full term. Sometimes there is an abnormal implantation of the embryo into the mother's uterus. This can also result in a spontaneous abortion. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss the best way for you to prepare for another pregnancy. You can start by taking a prenatal vitamin prescribed by your doctor every morning to make sure that you have enough vitamins for your next baby. Good luck.