ZocdocAnswersAre acoustic neuromas always removed or just the larger ones?

Question

Are acoustic neuromas always removed or just the larger ones?

I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. I'm a 29 year old woman and want to know if they'll have to remove it. It's pretty small, just soyou know.

Answer

Acoustic neuromas are benign (meaning, basically, that they don't spread) tumors that can cause problems with your hearing and balance. There are several reasons that an acoustic neuroma is recommended to be removed, and your otolaryngologist (Ear-Nose-and Throat aka head and neck surgeon) will be able to tell you if you are one of the people who need to have yours removed. In general, they are removed either because they are causing problems that might get better once you remove them, or because there is a chance that they will cause problems in the future. Some of the big problems that people can have with these stem from the risk of the tumor compressing the nerves that help with balance and hearing, with either of these potentially causing irreversible damage. Often, to make the decision about whether or not to operate, your surgeon will observe the tumor with radiographic imaging for a period of time to see if it is growing quickly or not changing. Please speak to him or her about your questions.