ZocdocAnswersCan acupressure cure nausea?

Question

Can acupressure cure nausea?

I have lupus and frequently feel nauseated. Can acupressure work? I am a 31 year old female. Thank you.

Answer

Acupressure is a popular remedy for nausea. It involves placing some pressure on a specific spot on the inside of the wrist when the nausea symptoms come on. There are actually several brands of acupressure bracelets on the market that can be purchases to automatically apply this pressure. Although acupressure has not been proven to relieve nausea in a scientific study, many people do report that it works for them. It certainly can cause no harm, and it may be helpful for you. More to the point, however, is the fact that it is important to figure out why you are having so much nausea. I highly recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor or the doctor who is managing your lupus about this symptoms. There are many reasons that you could be having nausea related to the lupus or to the medications you are taking, and these should be identified to determine whether there is something treatable. There are also non-lupus related causes of nausea which your primary care doctor will be able to rule out. Start by setting up a visit with your doctors. They will perform a physical exam and determine whether further testing is needed.