ZocdocAnswersIs food or lack of exercise the main reason for adult obesity?

Question

Is food or lack of exercise the main reason for adult obesity?

I am a 29 year old male and I do not eat health nor do I exercise. Which one is to blame for my state? I think the food, but I might be wrong.

Answer

Obesity is a problem that is an ever increasing source of morbidity and mortality in the western world. Diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea, diabtes mellitus, and degenerative joint disease are all comorbidities directly related to obesity that are reaching epidemic proportions. It is hard to pin the blame for adult obesity on any one thing. There is little doubt that poor dietary choices, overeating, and sedentary lifestyle all play key roles in the development of adult obesity. One feature of this problem is that due to increasing weight, at some point exercise becomes difficult or impossible due to the degree of obesity and comorbidities that come along with it. In many cases the first step toward losing weight is dietary change, but ideally a program of at least 30 minutes of light aerobic exercise should be instituted about 3 times weekly. A primary care physician should see and evaluate you before embarking on any diet and exercise plan, to be sure you are healthy enough for certain regimens. A good nutritionist and dietician is also a very valuable resource. These professionals can help you formulate a dietary regimen that will help you gradually lose weight, as long as you keep with it. I would recommend you set up an appointment to be seen and evaluated by both of those types of professionals as soon as possible, as there is no substitute for evaluation in person by a trained professional familiar with the comorbidities and challenges related to obesity.