How can I combat my adult obesity?

I'm a 30 year old lady who wants to be slimmer. What can I do? I'm taking small steps to eat smaller portions as it is.
First of all, congratulations on making steps to eat better and get your weight under control! This is a very important step in ensuring your continued good health over the long term. First of all, remember that effective weight loss and weight maintenance does require both health eating habits and daily exercise. One or the other will not be effective alone. In terms of exercise, the recommendation is that you should exercise at least 30-60 minutes on most days of the week. The exercise should be aerobic, and it should get your heart rate up and make you sweat. In terms of healthy eating habits, one excellent approach is to make an appointment with a nutritionist. The nutritionist will be able to take an inventory of your overall eating habits and weight loss needs and then make specific recommendations on how to accomplish them. On a side not, stay away from fad diets. These diets do not build good health eating habits and, although they often result in quick weight loss, they are hard to maintain. Generally people who use fad diets gain back the weight they have lost relatively quickly, and the diets may actually be dangerous if you have any underlying medical problems.

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251