Can I pass an allergic reaction down to my children?

I do not want my children to be allergic to peanuts like I am. I am a 28 year old woman. I am pregnant with my first child.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Often when a couple gets pregnant, we think about the conditions we have and wish that we could prevent our children from getting them. The good news is that just because you have an allergy to peanuts does not mean that your children will have the same allergy. An allergic reaction to a food product like peanuts is caused by an immune system response to certain molecules in the food. While we do not know why people such as yourself develop these allergies, we do know that they develop because of both genes and because of other factors we encounter during our life. This means that your child will likely be at a slightly higher risk of developing an allergy because he or she will have some of your genes. However, there is still a much greater chance that your child will not have a peanut allergy because they will encounter factors than you did when you were a child. I hope that explanation made a little sense. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she will be able to discuss your different health issues including your allergies and perhaps give you a little more reassurance that you won't pass your allergies down to your children.

Nearby OB-GYNs