ZocdocAnswersWhat alternative treatments have been known to work?

Question

What alternative treatments have been known to work?

I only know about acupuncture. What about music therapy?

Answer

This depends a lot on what kind of symptoms or medical problem that you have. Without knowing more about this, it is hard to provide any detailed answer. I will say that, generally speaking, most alternative therapies (massage, acupuncture, aromatherapy, music therapy, etc) do not have any objective effect on major medical problems (such as lowering blood pressure permanently, for example). However they do promote a general sense of well being and they may help to contribute to relieving stress. This is an important effect, because it makes people feel better and may especially help them cope with the strain of a medical illness. As always, whenever you are considering any type of alternative therapy, it is a good idea to mention this to your primary care doctor. This is because, in some cases, certain types of alternative therapies can be dangerous. For example, some people with severe back pain should not have deep massage of the back, as this may make the pain worse and even possibly cause permanent nerve damage. If you have any further questions about using alternative treatments and integrating those into your overall medical treatment regimens, feel free to discuss these with your primary care doctor.