ZocdocAnswersIs there a cure for Alzheimer's disease?

Question

Is there a cure for Alzheimer's disease?

I am a 30 year old male and my mother has Alzheimer's. Is there a cure? What can I do to help?

Answer

Alzheimer's disease is a chronic degenerative brain condition which is characterized by gradual decline in cognitive function and social functioning. It is the most common form of dementia in the world. Unfortunately, although we are learning more and more about Alzheimer's every day, we still are a long way from a cure or even a very effective treatment. We do know that one of the things that accelerates the decline of functioning in people with Alzheimer's is having other uncontrolled medical problems, like heart disease or diabetes. So one of the most helpful things that you can do for your mother is make certain that she has an excellent doctor who is watching over her medical care closely. You should also talk with your mother's doctor about the possibility of medication treatments. There are a few medications which are now being used fairly routinely in patients with Alzheimer's to improve cognitive function. The effects of these medications are relatively modest and they are best used in the early stages of the condition. Your mother's doctor can help determine whether they are right for her. Also, you may want to see if there are any elder care or support groups in your community which could help you.