Is apraxia common after a stroke?

Unfortunately, my wife had a stroke and now has apraxia. Is this common? What can I do to help her? She seems so frustrated
I am very sorry to hear that your wife had a stroke. Speaking in very basic terms, there are 2 different types of strokes: hemorrhagic and embolic. In an embolic stroke a piece of plaque, or a blood clot, or some other substance breaks free and pumps through the blood stream until it lands in a small enough artery that is can;t go any further and it blocks blood flow. It this happens to be in the brain, then is is called an embolic stroke, and whatever area of the brain that small artery was supplying is without nutrients/oxygen. A hemorrhagic stroke is when a vessel within the brain breaks/leaks/ruptures for some reason (sometimes its because there's an aneurysm or dilation in one of the vessels making it weak) which releases the vessel contents into the brain parenchyma (tissue). Brain tissue doesn't tolerate this well, so there is a lot of swelling that results, as well as cell death. In addition, if there is a lot of blood that leaks out, it can push on the brain as a whole and cause significant problems. Apraxia is a term that is used to describe the loss of the ability to execute or carry out learned purposeful movement. This probably happened from damage to the brain tissue from the stroke that is in charge of these movements. My best recommendation is that you discuss your frustrations with your neurologist who is familiar with your wife's medical records and who can refer your wife for brain rehab. Best of luck. I hope this information is helpful.

Other Neurologists