Can aromatherapy help me get to sleep faster?

I'm a male 33 year old with insomnia. Could aromatherapy help me sleep normally?
Insomnia is a very difficult condition to treat, but it is good to know that there are many therapies and methods that can be used to help. Aromatherapy, to my knowledge, is not a method that has been rigorously studied. This means that it might or might not work. The fortunate part of the idea is that there is really no down side to attempting aromatherapy in your specific situation, to see if it does help you to sleep better. If it does not work, you haven't lost anything except a few dollars in purchasing the necessary supplies. For most people with insomnia, the best place to start is with adjusting your sleep hygiene. This means avoiding caffeine, exercise, alcohol, and stimulating activities such as TV right before you go to bed. It also means laying in bed for no more than 20 minutes before trying something to calm you down (such as reading a book) before trying to sleep again. If you have tried all of these methods and continue to suffer from insomnia, then you should speak to a sleep doctor. He or she will be able to recommend further interventions, including the possibility of medications.