Does Asperger's syndrome affect everyone the same way?

I take my son to a group of other children with Asperger's. Could you tell me whether the disease affects everyone the same way?
Asperger's syndrome is a relatively common disorder that is often diagnosed in childhood. It is on the less severe end of autism spectrum disorders, meaning that people with Asperger's syndrome are generally higher functioning than those with more severe forms of autism. At the same time, there is a lot of individual variation in the manifestations of Asperger's syndrome. Very high functioning individuals may simply be perceived as odd or unusual by their peers, whereas more severely affected individuals may have difficulty with any meaningful social interaction. Symptoms of Asperger's syndrome include social impairment, especially failure to develop friendships and inattention to nonverbal communication, togethre with restricted or inflexible sets of interests. In order for this to qualify as Asperger's syndrome, these symptoms have to cause significant social impairment. Children with Asperger's syndrome, other than these problems, generally have good cognitive and language function. The treatment of Asperger's syndrome is generally supportive and involves behavioral techniques and socialization opportunities. This sounds like what you are doing with your son. Sometimes medications are needed to control other symptoms such as anxiety. Please talk to your pediatrician or psychiatrist for more information about your son's condition.

Other Psychiatrists