ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my blood glucose levels are too high?

Question

What does it mean if my blood glucose levels are too high?

I am 27 and love eating sweets. My blood glucase levels are high according to my doctor. Does this mean I shouldnt eat swets?

Answer

The meaning of a blood glucose level depends on when it is measured. If anyone has their blood glucose checked just after eating a pile of candy, it is going to be high. If your blood glucose was measured when you were fasting, then this may represent diabetes. Elevated blood glucose is the key finding in people that have diabetes. Thus if your doctor said your blood glucose was too high, then he or she is likely concerned that you have diabetes. While you should always limit the amount of sweets and pastries you eat, these should not cause your blood sugar to be high several hours after eating them. They can however contribute to being overweight. If you are overweight, then this will increase your chances of developing type 2 diabetes, which is the most common type. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can measure your hemoglobin a1c level. This is a measurement of your average blood glucose over the past 3 months. Thus you can have this test no matter what you ate that day. Any number of 6.5 is diagnostic for diabetes. If you number is over 6.5, you will need to begin treatment.