search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will I have to have my breast removed if I get breast cancer?"

ZocdocAnswersWill I have to have my breast removed if I get breast cancer?

Question

Could they just remove a portion? I'm 31 and worried.

Answer

In the past, removal of the entire breast (i.e., mastectomy) was the standard of care in the treatment of newly-diagnosed breast cancer. However, more recent studies have shown that for small breast cancers that are diagnosed at an early stage, combination therapy with a lumpectomy (removal of the breast tumor and the local surrounding tissue) and local radiation therapy can be as effective as a radical mastectomy. If you are worried about breast cancer for whatever reason (such as a strong family history of breast cancer or the detection of a palpable lump or mass), then you should talk to your primary care physician about your concerns. He/she can perform a detailed history and physical exam, and can talk with you about the need for further imaging (such as with ultrasound) if needed to make a diagnosis.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances