ZocdocAnswersWill I be able to run as fast as I used to after my broken leg heals?

Question

Will I be able to run as fast as I used to after my broken leg heals?

I worked so hard to get to where I am. I am a 29 year old male and I broke my leg skiing. It seems to not be too bad a break. Wil I be able to runs after it heals?

Answer

There are many factors that will affect how well your leg heals and whether or not you will be back to doing the same types of things that you were doing before. What bones were involved in the fracture? Did you require a cast for a long period of time? If so, how long was the cast on for? Have you had any physical or occupational therapy after the fall? The answers to these questions, along with your medical history and presenting symptoms will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up and treatment options available. This may include imaging studies and perhaps a referral to a specialist for further work up. In general, it is likely that you will have a good recovery and will likely return to close to your baseline if not completely to your baseline. Things that will help your healing include massage, physical therapy, whirlpools, stretching and yoga. Of course, it is important that you discuss this and any other concerns you have with your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate and answer your questions based upon the specific issues that you are concerned about and are experiencing.