ZocdocAnswersI have bumps on my head and wonder if this could be serious?

Question

I have bumps on my head and wonder if this could be serious?

I am a 49 year old who can always remember these bumps throughout my head. Many years have past and its something that is always present. brush your hair run your fingers through your hair, but there are two that i know have grown in size. they dont hurt just bothersome. should this be of great concern to me?

Answer

While bumps that have been present for many years and are not painful are often not a cause for alarm or concern, you should mention them to your doctor during your routine physical examinations, which should be scheduled on an annual basis.Because yours have been growing recently, however, you should possibly speak to a physician sooner, as any growing bumps are a concern until proven otherwise. While it is difficult to speculate what these could be without more information, there are many different causes of small bumps on the head, the majority of which are not overly alarming. Obviously, a personal history of other medical conditions or a family history of similar bumps would make you more or less concerned about something serious, depending on what additional information you were able to provide. Additionally, you are nearing an age when you will need to have a extra preventive health examinations performed, including a colonoscopy at the age of 50. Speaking with your primary care doctor about these preventive services at the same time as you discuss your current bumps is an excellent strategy. Also, make sure to mention if the bumps ever bleed, itch, or have any associated color changes to the skin.