ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?

Question

What kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?

I have green mucus, post nasal drip, no sense of smell.

Answer

These symptoms do indeed sound like sinusitis or sinus congestion. Sinus congestion occurs when contaminants or allergens in the air cause inflammation and mucus plugging of the nasal passages and sinuses. Some home treatments can help with this, particularly irrigation of the nasal passages with saline solution (using a Nettipot or some similar system). Additionally, over the counter antihistamine medications may be helpful. If these remedies do not work for you, then you should talk to your primary care doctor. Sinus problems are one of the most common problems seen by primary care doctors, and they are very capable of dealing with it. In addition to the remedies above, your doctor may prescribe some nasal steroid spray, which can help reduce the inflammation and plugging. Other medications, such as montelukast, may also be indicated, depending on what your doctor finds on exam. Finally, if there is any evidence of a sinus infection (based on length and severity of symptoms) your doctor may decide to prescribe a course of oral antibiotics to help clear things up. Start by calling your primary care doctor! They will confirm the diagnosis and will help you decide which treatment options are best for your condition.