ZocdocAnswersWhat are the benefits of a deep tissue massage?

Question

What are the benefits of a deep tissue massage?

Can a deep tissue massage help me heal an old running injury from my teens? I am 28 years old and I need to recover.

Answer

Massage is an excellent technique that can be used in the overall treatment of aches and pains from sports injuries. Massage works by promoting relaxation and a feeling of wellbeing. It also may have beneficial effects on muscle spasm and blood flow and inflammation at the site of pain. Taken together, regular massage of the affected area will probably therefore improve pain and mobility. However, it is important to keep in mind that most of the effects of massage are due to their influence on subjective pathways of pain and stress. Therefore, if you have significant damage to your knee (such as scarring or damage to ligaments) massage will not fix these underlying damages. It will only help reduce your pain and discomfort. Obviously, reducing pain and discomfort is significant and will lead to a better quality of life, but it is not a cure of the underlying problem. If you wish to address the root cause of significant scarring or damage to ligaments, this would require consultation with an orthopedic surgeon. This is because most of the treatments of permanent knee injury require a surgical intervention on the knee. Your primary care doctor will be able to give you a referral to an orthopedic doctor if you need one.