ZocdocAnswersWhy do people get depressed?

Question

Why do people get depressed?

I get sad a lot when I think about the world. I'm a 23 year old male and it seems like there's so much suffering. Is this why I get so sda?

Answer

This is a common, and unfortunately difficult condition. I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor. If required, he or she may recommend that you see a psychiatrist (a mental health specialist). There are many potential treatments that could be offered and you should discuss with your doctor if any of these may be of benefit for you. Firstly, the treatment of depression is something that will take years. That being said, here are some aspects that requires immediate and urgent attention. If you ever feel like you want to hurt yourself, commit suicide or hurt someone else you must immediately proceed to the emergency room. As for your question, people get depressed for a number of reasons. There are many life factors such as personal experiences and hardships that can trigger this. Ultimately we know that in people with depression there is an imbalance of neurochemicals -- specifically a decreased amount of serotonin and norepinepherine. We also know that increasing the amount of serotonin and norepinepherine through medicines can help the symptoms of depression. As such, your doctor may be able to help you. We know that there is a genetic basis for depression -- children can inherit it from their mother and fathers. Please talk to your doctor.