ZocdocAnswersHow long does a diabetes test take?

Question

How long does a diabetes test take?

Hi. I'm a 31 year old female. Soon I will be tested for diabetes. How long will the test take? Do I need to prepare?

Answer

I have good news for you. A diabetes test today is nothing but a simple blood test. You do not need to prepare in any way, you can eat before the test, and the results usually come back between 2 days and a week after the blood is drawn. Diabetes tests used to be a bit more complicated. You would need to come into the doctor's office having not eaten that day so that a "fasting blood glucose test" could be done. I do not use the fasting blood glucose test any more. Today I only use the hemoglobin a1c test. This test is used to look at your average blood sugar over the past 3 months. Any number under 5.5 is considered to be normal, while any number over 6.5 is consistent with a diagnosis of diabetes. A number between 5.5 and 6.5 is called "pre-diabetes" which means that the patient is at risk of developing diabetes, but doesn't have it yet. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Bring with you a list of questions you have about the hemoglobin a1c test (if you have any). If it comes back positive, then you can discuss a management plan thereafter. Good luck.