ZocdocAnswersDo everyone's dietary needs differ from one another?

Question

Do everyone's dietary needs differ from one another?

Does everyone need the same fat, protein, carb ratio. I feel like I eat a lot more carbs than others. I am 28 and male, but I don't think that's the reason.

Answer

Although variations in diet occur due to cultural differences and personal preference, there are definitely some general principles that hold consistently for all people. These include the need to eat a well balanced diet that uses fats (especially saturated fats) and added sweets sparingly. It is also best to limit the amount of refined carbohydrates that are ingested. Your primary care doctor can give you additional advice. If you have not had a physical examination in a while I suggest that. I say this because if you are overweight, this might change advice about what kind of diet you need to eat. Similarly, if you have high cholesterol or a family history of this problem, this should also influence your dietary choices. Your doctor will be able to give you advice about how any medical problems or family history you have should help you modify your diet. Additionally, if you have specific questions about how to eat and in what proportions you should consume various food groups, a visit to a nutritionist might be helpful. They are well trained to help you take an assessment of your daily eating habits and to make recommendations about how to best make healthy choices.