ZocdocAnswersWhat good dietary habits should I adopt?

Question

What good dietary habits should I adopt?

In addition to eating a lot of vegetables I try to take it easy on the sweets. I am a 35 year old female. What else should I do to promote health?

Answer

One thing that people often forget is that dieting and healthy eating is only half of the battle. In addition to this, regular daily exercise is also important. In fact most doctors recommend that you get at least 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week in order to optimize your heart health and overall well being. In terms specifically of what foods you should eat, a diet that is low in added sugars and in saturated fats is very important. Maximizing your use of vegetables and fruits is always a good idea. If you are specifically trying to lose weight, then there are probably some additional strategies toward eating that you can adopt. The best way to do this is to talk to a nutritionist, who can assess your weight loss goals and eating habits and help you come up with a realistic plan. Smoking is another unhealthy habit that many people engage in. Stopping smoking if you are a smoker will also go a long way towards promoting overall health. Finally, moderating your alcohol consumption can be important. If you have more questions about promoting general good health, talk to your primary care doctor!