Are dietary supplements good for losing weight?

I am a 29 year old female. Could you tell me more about the effectiveness of dietary supplements?
Dietary supplements are products that contain vitamins and minerals that the body normally obtains from food. They are used to replace, or add on to, the normal vitamins and minerals consumed in a diet if that diet is not adequate to provide the individual with enough of these substances for their health. These supplements do not provide the body with any particular tool to lose weight. Depending on the diet you choose, they may provide your body with certain needed vitamins that you are not getting in your diet. Other than that, I do not think they will help you lose any weight. Before starting any diet, you should discuss your weight, and the diet you would like to try with a doctor. The best type of physician for you to discuss this with is your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss a reasonable diet that reduces the amount of calories you take in while increasing the amount of calories you burn. If your doctor is worried that you may not be consuming enough vitamins or minerals in this new diet, he or she may ask you to take a multivitamin pill every morning to make up for these lost substances. Do not start taking any supplements without your doctor knowing. Good luck.