ZocdocAnswersCan dietary supplements make up for eating food?

Question

Can dietary supplements make up for eating food?

Fewer calories than food. Should I try them?

Answer

While it may seem intuitive that replacing food with supplements can replace eating food, this will not work as a method of eating healthier or losing weight. I will give you some information that may help you understand why this is. Dietary supplements are designed to add non-calorie nutrients such as vitamins and minerals to our diets. These can be helpful in certain cases where an individual's diet is not complete enough to get adequate amounts of these vitamins and minerals that come naturally in food. Consuming just dietary supplements will not provide you with the calories your body needs for energy. It is also important to note that consuming too many vitamins or minerals can actually be detrimental to your health. There are several "hypervitaminosis" syndromes that we see now more and more as people take dietary supplements to an extreme. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss a dietary strategy for you to achieve whatever weight loss goals you have in a manner that is as healthy as possible. Depending on you age and overall health, your doctor may or may not recommend that you take any dietary supplements. Good luck.