Are early pregnancy symptoms painful?

Between allt he vomiting and nausea I'm having a hard time functioning. I'm 30. What can I do to help?
The first trimester of pregnancy is a very difficult time for many women. Nausea, vomiting, and even weight loss can all help to detract from what can otherwise often be a very happy time. Additionally, many women will feel changes in their mood and feelings that are difficult to describe and adjust to. Your question about whether or not they are painful symptoms is somewhat subjective. For most, the nausea and vomiting are not painful, but can be very annoying or even debilitating. Always keeping some food in your stomach helps many women. Others find that dry, flavorless foods such as toast and crackers help. Ginger ale is helpful to others, as is something as simple as the smell of ginger extract or dried ginger. As with most things in medicine and life, what helps you is likely to be different from what helps another person. If you feel that you are struggling, you should discuss your symptoms at a special appointment with your obstetrician or midwife. Otherwise, discussing them during your normal follow up might be adequate as long as you are able to function and are gaining weight appropriately. He or she will offer other therapies and medical options to help.