ZocdocAnswersShould expectant mothers exercise?

Question

Should expectant mothers exercise?

I am a 29 year old female in her third trimester. Is it safe for me to exercise? Not kickboxing or anything, but maybe water aerobics?

Answer

As you probably already know, exercise has many benefits. Improved blood flow to your body gives you many benefits to your heart, immune system, blood vessels. In pregnancy, gentle exercise can improve blood flow to the placenta and, as a result, your child. Gentle exercise is not only okay, but recommended throughout pregnancy. However, before beginning any exercise regimen, you should consult your obstetrician to make sure it is okay. Situations in which this might be the case is if you have an abnormal attachment of your placenta in your uterus, if the child is positioned abnormally, or if your cervix is starting to open. All of these can be diagnosed with standard tests and physical exams that obstetricians perform at routine visits. Good luck! G