ZocdocAnswersWhat foods should I eat for fast weight loss?

Question

What foods should I eat for fast weight loss?

Not pasta, I guess. I am a 38 year old male. I am kind of overweight. Should I drop carbs?

Answer

Weight loss is a complex process. As you know, obesity is a major problem facing millions of Americans and people worldwide. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. He or she can help you develop a healthy and safe way to drop some weight. Firstly, congratulations on recognizing you need to lose weight. This is the first and important step. Secondly, unfortunately there is not "fast" way to lose weight. We know that people who drop weight fast from the fad diets are nearly 100% likely to put the weight back on. What you need is a steady, fundamental change to your lifestyle as this is the only proven way to drop the weight and keep it off. Ultimately, weight loss is about energy balance. You need to expend more calories (energy) than you consume. That means increase your exercise, and eat fewer calories. Calories intake (what you eat) is probably the most important factor. Therefore eating lower calorie foods is important. It is ok to eat pasta or carbs, just moderate you portion size. The "no carb" diets work because proteins and vegetables often have fewer calories -- but this is not always the easiest thing to do. Talk to your doctor. You would likely benefit from seeing a dietitian -- a food specialist -- to help you on your way. Good luck!