ZocdocAnswersAre flu shots necessary?

Question

Are flu shots necessary?

I've never had a flu shot and finally got the flu for the first time this year. I am 28. Should I have gotten the shot. I didn't get it any other year.

Answer

Whether or not you should get the flu shot depends on your age, your overall health, your profession, and finally yours and your doctor's personal opinion. There are national recommendations that very young children between 6 months of age and 2 years of age get the flu shot. In addition, anyone over the age of 65 should get the flu shot. Patients that have lung disease, heart disease, or another major disease should also get the flu shot regardless of their age. Anyone that works either with young children (day care or school teacher) or works in the health care field should get the flu shot because of their increased exposure and higher likelihood of person to person transmission. Despite these recommendations, many doctors are recommending all their patients (with a few exceptions) get the flu shot because it does have benefits for everyone. I am sure that if you asked your doctor for the shot next year, he or she would oblige. No one wants to go through the flu a second time. I suggest that you bring this issue up with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to make a formal recommendation as to whether you should get the shot every year. Good luck.