ZocdocAnswersDoes everyone have food allergies?

Question

Does everyone have food allergies?

I do not have a food allergy. Is it just a matter of time before I develop one. Everyone else I know seems to be allergic to something. I am 31 now.

Answer

Food allergies do not develop in everyone. While they are common, I would say that the majority of people do not have an allergy per se to any particular food. With that said, there are people that have reactions to food that are not allergies, but lead a person to assume that they are allergic to that food. For example, I have had patients that said that they drank milk one night and vomited. Vomiting and stomach pain can be a symptom of a food allergy, but the vast majority of time the symptoms were caused by something else. A true allergy is an immune system reaction to a molecule within a particular food. Symptoms may include hives, itching, trouble breathing, runny nose, nausea and vomiting. There are particular foods that tend to be more likely to produce an allergy. The most common allergies are peanuts, milk, eggs, and fish products. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to any symptoms you may be having and determine if there is any risk of allergy to any particular foods. If there is any concern, then your doctor may give you a referral to an allergist. Good luck.