Can I develop food allergies over time?

It may be a silly question but I'd like to know. Could my body stop tolerating certain foods? I am 36 and have a hard time imagining cutting anything out.
Although it is much more common to develop food allergies as a child, it is possible to develop them later in life. Why this occurs is not entirely know, but probably has something to do with your particular genetic disposition, leading to the development of the allergy. Allergies to food are more common in those who have or have had a history of asthma or eczema, but they can also occur in isolation. If you suspect that you may have a food allergy, it is very important to talk about this with your primary care doctor. Food allergies can tend to get worse over time, as each repeated exposure to the food will further sensitize your body's allergy response. Continuing to eat a food that you think you may be allergic to can therefore be dangerous, and you should stop until the diagnosis of food allergy is confirmed or ruled out. If you develop any serious allergy symptoms, these could be life threatening and you would need to seek immediate emergency medical assistance. These serious symptoms include wheezing or trouble breathing, nausea or vomiting with ingestion of the food, and swelling of the face, eyes, lips, or tongue. Talk to your primary care doctor as soon as possible.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045