ZocdocAnswersHow do i get rid of the acne scars that i have on my skin?

Question

How do i get rid of the acne scars that i have on my skin?

The scars are very dark and deep.. and my pimples seem to keep on growing on the same spot.

Answer

I highly suggest that you go to see your dermatologist. It sounds like you still have ongoing acne problems. This is important, because the first step in dealing with acne scarring is to prevent further damage and scarring to the skin by treating the acne. Your dermatologist can help you come up with a plan to take care of the active acne spots. In terms of dealing with the acne scars, there are two issues. The first is that if you notice mostly darkened or purplish areas of discoloration in places where the acne has healed, this is not actually scarring. What it is is something called postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, color changes induced by the healing skin. Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation does not specifically need to be treated because it will gradually over time clear up and smooth out if you can get the acne under control. On the other hand, if you do have areas of dimpling, pockmarks, etc, this is true scarring and needs to be dealt with separately. However, before treating scarring you will need to get the active acne under control. Once that is done, your dermatologist can talk to you about treatments for scar, such as dermal fillers, abrasion, and laser resurfacing.