Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"what doctor should i see for my Grain greasy face or Acne ?"

ZocdocAnswerswhat doctor should i see for my Grain greasy face or Acne ?


i am a 20 years old male, i have grain greasy face or acne thats very itchy. i thought its a some kind of Acne that appears one boys who are getting older,but what i have is itchy.


Acne can be itchy, although this also raises the possibility that you have something else going on such as eczema (a dryness of the skin) or some sort of contact or allergic reaction (usually to a cosmetic product) or seborrheic dermatitis (red, scaly skin usually in the corners of the nose, creases of the face, and hairline) rather than acne. Therefore, you should talk to your primary care doctor or your dermatologist to help you sort out exactly what is going on and what the treatment should be. Assuming that this is in fact acne, then the mainstay of treating acne is facial hygiene with a good antibacterial facial soap. This keeps the bacteria on the skin down and it also helps to remove the skin debris that clogs the pores and contributes to acne. In addition to this most people should use a comedonolytic, which is a type of chemical that strips off the dead skin and other debris. The most common comedonolytics are salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide; you can find these in multiple over the counter acne products if you read the labels. If these approaches to acne do not work, then there are prescription medications available as well.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.