• Español
  • Join Now
Make an appointment:
(i.e. Dermatologists)

What kind of doctor should I see for my eye infection?

I'm a 28 year old male, I have an eye infection that is watering, goopy and lots of crusty discharge when I wake in the morning, it's red and irritated it's moved from one eye to the other. I've tried drop's but still doesn't work. My son has also caught it.
Conjunctivitis, or an infection of the eye, is a very common problem. It can be unilateral (involving one eye) or bilateral (involving both eyes). They are often very contagious, and can be associated with infection be either a virus or with bacteria. The most common reason for conjunctivitis is infection with a virus such as adenovirus, one of the causes of the common cold; these types of infections are often associated with other symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat or cough. Certain STDs, including gonorrhea and chlamydia, can also cause eye infection, although these causes are very rare. Your primary care doctor can diagnose and treat conjunctivitis. When the infection is caused by a virus, there is no therapy that will cure it; it will go away on its own, although there are things you can do such as using warm washcloths to relieve the symptoms. When the infection is caused by a bacteria, antibiotics drops are often needed to relieve the infection. Conjunctivitis is only possible to diagnose with an in-person consultation, and your primary care doctor will know if you need referral to an eye specialist, so I suggest you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss this problem right away.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under ZocDoc’s Terms of Service.

Other Ophthalmologists