Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is GAD the reason I'm antisocial?"

ZocdocAnswersIs GAD the reason I'm antisocial?


What's causing me to be antisocial. Could it be GAD? I am 22 and very shy.


Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a type of anxiety disorder that does result in significant anxiety symptoms around social interactions. However, GAD, in order to be diagnosed, really needs to be causing significant problems in life, such as problems with relationships, work, and the like. In other words, simply being shy would not be enough to trigger a diagnosis of GAD or any other anxiety disorder. However, if you feel like your symptoms are significant enough to be causing major impairment in your life, such as harming your relationships or preventing you from keeping a job, then this could be consistent with an anxiety disorder. You would need to schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor or your psychiatrist. If your doctor determines that you have an anxiety disorder, they may decide to start you on one of several medications that have been shown to be of benefit. Which medication is used will depend on the degree of impairment and whether your symptoms are constant or just situational. Alternatively, or at the same time, they may refer you to a therapist or psychologist to work on coping strategies and cognitive techniques, which are often quite helpful for reducing anxiety.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.