search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can my doctor tell me whether I have a healthy BMI?"

ZocdocAnswersCan my doctor tell me whether I have a healthy BMI?

Question

I am going to see my doctor and want to know more about BMI. Can he tell me if I'm healhty okay? I am a 25 year old girl.

Answer

BMI, or Body Mass Index, is essentially a quantitative measurement of weight in proportion to your height. Obviously a very tall person can have a certain weight and be lean, but the same weight would not be considered healthy for a short person. Body Mass Index is calculated the following formula: BMI = Weight / Height(squared) The weight is in kilograms The Height is in meters Dividing your weight, by a square value of your height in meters would give you your BMI. The following cutoffs are used for BMI values: Less than 18.5 = Underweight 18.5 to 24.9 = Normal weight 25 to 29.9 = Overweight 30 to 39.9 = Obese 40 and up = Extremely Obese. Although BMI is used a lot in healthcare, it has some major pitfalls and is not always accurate. For example, someone who is an athlete or a weight lifter may have a BMI of 27, but be in top physical shape and be healthy. BMI does not account for body fat percentage, muscle mass, bone structure/build, etc. Therefore BMI is not always an accurate assessment of a patient's health and weight. Your doctor should be able to assess if your weight and BMI are appropriate for you. I recommend you speak to your primary care physician regarding your weight and BMI.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.