How can I drop pounds so I can be a healthy weight again?

I would like to shed the weight I put on my first year of college.How can I lose weight fast?
Maintaining a healthy weight is one, if not the most, important techniques to improve your overall health and well being. I congratulate you on recognizing the need for this. I would recommend discussing this with your primary care doctor. This is a complicated issue and a trained medical professional is very helpful. Firstly, it is important to identify what your healthy weight should be. There is no perfect way to do this, but measuring your Body Mass Index or BMI is one of the best options we have. BMI is based on your height and weight. I would recommend looking online for a BMI calculator. Healthy BMIs are normally 18-25. If it appears you are overweight and need to lose weight, there are many options. Overall, the simple fact is to lose weight one needs to consume less energy (measured as calories) than one expends. Therefore increasing your energy expenditure (by exercising) and decreasing your intake (food and drinks) is the fundamental way. In actuality, we know decreasing intake and eating healthier / lower calorie foods is the most important aspect as exercise alone is not as effective. Talking to a dietician or nutritionist is important to help tailor your diet. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190