Can healthy weight loss make me look better?

I've set a weight loss plan but I want to look toned too. I am 31 and there's too much jiggling around. How can I get toned and lose weight?
Maintaining a healthy weight is an excellent way to promote lifelong health and well-being. Besides the emotional benefits of knowing you look your best, keeping a healthy weight can help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, liver disease, joint disease, and even many kinds of cancers. Losing weight is mathematically simple: if you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. However, calorie restriction without paying attention to maintaining a balanced calorie intake can lead to health problems related to nutritional deficiencies. In addition, as you indicate, merely losing weight will not necessarily give you a fit, toned figure. In order to help maximize the benefits from your weight loss plan, it may be helpful for you to talk to a dietician and possibly to a personal trainer. You can always talk to your primary care physician about a referral to a dietician, as some PCP practices may have dieticians they recommend. Overall, a dietician can help guide you in developing a healthy eating plan that will minimize calories to help you lose weight while also making sure you include the right nutrients and vitamins in your diet. In a similar way, a personal trainer can help you incorporate exercise into your daily routine with a goal of both weight loss but also adding lean muscle which will give you the toned look you are after.

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    Dietitian
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    Dietitian
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190