ZocdocAnswersDo diabetics need to monitor their hemoglobin A1c levels?

Question

Do diabetics need to monitor their hemoglobin A1c levels?

I am diabetic. My doctor monitors everything, but do I need to be aware of my levels too?

Answer

It is certainly advantageous for you to be familiar with the degree of your blood glucose control. The more that you know about your health, the better you will be able to understand what measures need to be taken to continue improving your overall state. Your hemoglobin A1c is a measure that doctors use to track how well a diabetic has controlled their blood glucose over the previous three months. If you are familiar with your numbers, it will be easier for you to make an assessment of how well your current methods of exercise, diet control and medication adherence are working to control your diabetes. In general, having a strong knowledge of your overall health history can be very helpful to you and your future physicians. In the event that you need to receive health care in a setting that does not have access to your prior records, any information that you can provide can help your doctors give you the best care possible.