Can HEPA filters lower the risk of cardiovascular disease?

I have breathing and heart problems. Should I use HEPA filters?
I don't know that I have ever been asked about HEPA filters from a cardiovascular standpoint. Be aware that since I don't know anything about your medical history with the exception that you have mentioned breathing and heart problems that I am speculating when answering. My thoughts on HEPA filters are as follows: "HEPA" is an acronym for High Efficiency Particulate Air filters. They are used to filter out particulate matter from the air that are as small as 0.3 micrometers (by DOE standards). They are used in multiple different situations from use in vehicles (like cars, airlines, and trains), to use in vacuums, to biomedical applications. In the biomedical fields, HEPA filters are used to filter viruses and bacteria from the air to prevent spread or infection with the offending organism. In your particular case I am assuming that you are asking whether you should put HEPA filters in your house (as opposed to wearing a HEPA filter mask at all times). You mentioned breathing issues, and while I don't know exactly what you mean by this, if you have reactive airway disease (like asthma), then you may react to allergens in the air. Especially if you have allergies to dust, etc. So if you have allergies and reactive airway disease that is worsened by allergens present in the air of your house, then a HEPA filter may help decrease the reactivity of your airways, and improve your breathing indirectly. And theoretically this may improve your cardiovascular physiology. However this is a bit of a stretch, and a lot of assuming that this is exactly what is going on. If you do have allergies, and breathing problems, I would recommend a consultation with an allergist, or a pulmonologist to get evaluated. While you are there, get their thoughts on the HEPA filter. I hope this helps.

Nearby Allergists

Other Allergists