ZocdocAnswersWill eating too many high glycemic foods make me diabetic?

Question

Will eating too many high glycemic foods make me diabetic?

I love fried everything and sweets. I am worried about diabetes. How can I still eat the things I love and not get diabetes?

Answer

Developing diabetes is an understandable concern, especially when in today's society it has started to become an epidemic. The best approach is to maintain a health lifestyle, including a well balanced diet and routine exercise. Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is a chronic condition in which glucose is not metabolized correctly and results in hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). Type 1 is due to destruction of pancreatic cells and is usually autoimmune in nature. Type 2 is the most common form and is due to a combination of insulin deficiency and insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone that is made and secreted by pancreatic beta cells and is essential in the metabolism of glucose. Type 2 is highly related to excess weight and obesity. Thus, obese patients are usually at risk for developing diabetes and weight loss in conjunction with a healthy diet are most often recommended. The Glycemic Index (GI) refers to the effect carbohydrates have on blood glucose. For example, a food with a high degree of soluble fiber such as whole grains will have low GI values because it increases blood glucose by a small amount, thus having a less profound effect on postprandial glycemic and insulinemic effects. Though the use of a low GI diet is still in debate, it is thought that postprandial hyperglycemia, which may be increased with high GI foods, can lead to insulin resistance and subsequently increase the risk of Type 2 Diabetes. It is important to keep in mind that the total amount of food intake, regardless of its glycemic index, is also very important for your health. You should follow up with your primary care physician to discuss your diet, the glycemic index, and the best nutritional goals for your situation.